Questions & Concerns

A Message from Health Services

Here we’ve provided answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about our services. If at any time you have additional questions or concerns, call us at 315-443-9005. We will be happy to provide assistance.

What health services does the University provide?

The Syracuse University Health Services staff of physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses, and other professional health services staff provide confidential, primary health care to students. Services include medical and women’s health, immunization and allergy services, nutrition services, ambulance and medical transport services, pharmacy, laboratory services, and health promotion and education services. What should my student do in case of a health emergency?

When school is in session, Syracuse University Ambulance (SUA) provides services for the University community and can be contacted by calling 711 on campus or by dialing (315) 443-4299 from off campus. Unforeseen circumstances may force SUA to be out of service during regularly scheduled hours. If this occurs, emergency ambulance needs are provided by a local commercial ambulance company. Students are financially responsible for all expenses incurred from these outside-provider emergency services. Students are financially responsible for all expenses incurred from these outside-provider emergency services.

What immunizations are required for my student?

Syracuse University policy in accordance with New York State public health law requires all students to provide proof of immunity to measles, mumps, and rubella. In addition a completed response form related to meningococcal meningitis vaccine is required. Additional vaccines are recommended and the health form included in your student’s admission booklet should be completed.

What credentials does Syracuse University Health Services have?

The Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care accredits Health Services, certifying that it has met recognized standards for quality health care. The New York State Department of Health licenses the laboratory, pharmacy, and ambulance services.

What does the health and wellness fee cover?

Payment of the health and wellness fee entitles students to:

  • Office visits at SU Health Services
  • Syracuse University Ambulance (SUA) services
  • Counseling Center services
  • Nutrition counseling
  • Health education and wellness promotion
  • Public health monitoring and oversight

Separate fees are charged for laboratory tests, medications and some medical equipment and procedures. The charge may be added to the Bursar account or can be paid by cash, check, Visa or MasterCard at the time of service. Charges billed to the Bursar account appear as a "Health Services" charge. Itemized statements are available from the Health Services’ cashier and may be submitted to outside insurance companies for possible reimbursement.

The health and wellness fee is not health insurance. Syracuse University strongly recommends students carry health insurance to cover expenses not covered by the mandatory health and wellness fee, such as xrays, referrals to outside providers, emergency room care, hospitalization, prescriptions, and eye or dental care.


Are parents able to access their student’s medical information?

A student’s medical record is strictly confidential and protected by applicable state and federal privacy laws. Information cannot be shared with anyone without the written consent of the student. Consent to share details with parents must be given for each encounter.

Who should be notified if my student cannot attend classes because of illness, accident, or family emergency?

Students should notify professors personally if they are absent for up to three days. If the student will be absent longer, they should contact their home school or college. If the student is unable to do so or needs help, contact the Office of Student Assistance at 315/443-4357. Upon returning to the University, students must provide their home school or college office with written documentation verifying the reason(s) for the absence.

Is there a list of items that Health Services suggests that my student should bring to college?

Yes, a list of those items can be found here