Can I waive the Health and Wellness Fee?
The Health and Wellness Fee is a MANDATORY fee for full-time undergraduate students and students in the College of Law registered for 12 or  more credit hours.  The fee is also mandatory for graduate students registered for 9 or more credits.  IT IS NOT INSURANCE. The only students who can waive the health and wellness fee are those who are enrolled in a special program that takes them away from the campus for the entire semester, i.e. studying abroad, student teaching, an internship, etc. If you are on campus and enrolled full time you must pay the fee. Also, medical coverage through a health insurance plan is not a criterion for exemption. Students are encouraged to have health insurance to cover health care costs for emergency room visits, hospitalization and/or specialty services. The health and wellness fee covers more than just illness care.

What time do you close?

SU Health Services has extended full-service evening and weekend hours. During the academic year, Health Services is open: 
Monday and Tuesday 8:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. 
Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. 
Sunday closed

During the Summer, Health Services is open Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  We are closed on Saturdays in the Summer.

Hours may also vary on holidays and during other periods when University work hours are altered. After hours, a nurse practitioner and/or physician is available for telephone consultation through the answering service when appropriate. Syracuse University Ambulance and Medical Transportation Services are available to provide professional emergency care and medical transportation to area hospitals if needed. 

Will I be able to get an excuse note for class?
SUHS does not provide notes to verify visits. When a student is specifically advised to alter activity based on current clinical findings, the recommendation is given to the student in writing. Missed class or incomplete academic work is an issue between the student and the instructor.

Do you fill prescriptions from "outside" doctors?
The SUHS pharmacy accepts prescriptions from both SUHS and other health care providers and participates with most insurance prescription plans. Pharmacy charges can also be billed to the Bursar account. Call 315-443-5691 for more information.

Can I call in a refill for my prescription?
Yes. You are encouraged to call in your refills 48 hours in advance at 315-443-5691. The SUHS pharmacy is a full-service pharmacy providing a wide selection of prescription medications, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, dietary supplements, and pharmaceutical education and counseling.

Will my charges be submitted to my insurance company?
Yes, charges will be submitted to Aetna, Pomco, SU/ESF HTH and BC&BS Bluecard. We are non-participating and do not direct bill other insurance companies. You may, however, receive an itemized statement of charges that you can submit to your insurance company. Pharmacy charges can be billed to a wider range of insurances; check with the pharmacy to see if your insurance is one of them.

What do I need to do in order to take a medical leave of absence?

A student wishing to take a medical leave of absence must discuss this request with a representative of the Office of Student Assistance in 306 Steele Hall.  Please contact Student Assistance at 315-443-4357 or in order to make an appointment to discuss the medical leave of absence process in detail. 

Who should I inform if I will be away from campus for a few days?

Contact the Student Affairs Office at 306 Steele Hall. The phone number is 315-443-4357.

Is it possible to see a nutritionist?
Yes, call 315-443-9005 to schedule an appointment with Lisa Thomas RD CDN nutritionist at Health Services.

Will you send me an itemized statement?
An itemized receipt may be requested by the student, in person, or with a statement signed by the student.

Will you send me copies of my medical records?
Copies of medical records may be requested by the student in person or with a statement signed by the student. There is a $10 fee for medical records requests. Itemized billing statements and immunization records are provided free of charge.

What if I have needles that need to be disposed of?
If you have needles that need to be disposed, DON'T USE THE TRASH.  Health Services will provide free safety sharps container and dispose of them when they are full.  Come in and see us in the Lab for more information.

What if I have a food allergy or food intolerance?
If you have a food allergy or food intolerance, please contact Food Services at 315-443-3803 or email

What should I do if I need allergy injections?

It is recommended by the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, that allergy injections be provided by physicians who specialize in administering allergy injections, and have appropriate staff and equipment to identify and treat adverse reactions. There are two local groups in close proximity to the University who can provide this service if you are accepted as a patient, they are:

Allergy Asthma Rheumatology Associates

1200 E. Genesee Street, Suite 103

Syracuse, NY 13210

Phone (315) 478-2339


Syracuse ENT

3906 East Genesee Street

Dewitt, NY 13214

Phone (315) 251-1093 Extension 316 (Intake Department, Rachel)